Friday, January 29, 2010

Packing for the Hospital

Limit yourself to what you bring to the hospital you won’t be there long one – 3 days generally.  I know I over-packed, and even though I read the books, searched the Internet and got some great advice from my cousin and mom, you still don’t really know what to expect or what you’ll need.
Just a few things for the baby:
- one (1) going home outfit, a sleeper is best
- a couple of diapers and small pack of wipes (I didn’t use the wipes but its more for just in case)
- car seat (base already installed)
- blankets to wrap them up for when going home – obviously this will be weather & seasonal dependant on how many you bring or how warm they are
Few things for mom:
- Pen and pad of paper (scribbler)
- maybe a book or something if you think you may get bored (it happened to me but I was so tired or occupied by the baby I didn’t touch it)
- Cell phone or phone list, charger for your phone
- A few female hygiene pads (no tampons for a while if that’s what your used to using) Also the hospital provided me with some during my stay.
- a going home outfit (I just wore what I came in with, made for less to pack), comfy nursing bra, extra pair of underwear & comfy shoes (your feet could still be swollen), sandals (flip flops) the floors are cold when your walking to the bathroom
- Some women like to pack warm socks – I didn’t need them my feet always get too hot AND I wasn’t in the hospital for a long delivery
- old night gown or housecoat – I recommend just using what the hospital provides you its just easier and you don’t have to worry about ruining them
- Camera with charger or extra batteries
- I was nice enough to pack some snacks (granola bars) and water for the hubby
- Lanolin cream (a.k.a. Nipple cream), lotion, lip balm are all definitely musts
Just remember you don’t want to over pack, you will also be more occupied with the baby and possible visitors.  Also don’t forget it is ok to say no to having visitors… mom and baby will be exhausted and do need their rest! I was exhausted but was ok with visitors, I think it was because the drugs they were giving me were keeping me up anyways. 
Will add more to the list if I remember anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment