Thursday, January 28, 2010

Labour and hospital time!

My contractions jumped so quickly, from one (1) hour apart to 15 minutes to eight (8) minutes and so on.  So my contractions, that I remember, started at seven (7) P.M. and I was at the hospital for 1:30 A.M.
The nurse hooked me up to their machines, gave me a clicker/button to use for when the baby made movement, and blood was drawn as well as the I.V was put in.  The machine was having a hard time reading the baby’s heartbeat and I felt no movement from her either.  The doctor moved me to a birthing room maybe a half hour later to monitor the baby a bit more closely. 
They set me up for an epidural, which is so painful.  The anaesthesiologist gave me the first needle to numb the area for the epidural, but in my humble opinion, it didn’t do anything for the pain that that needle caused me!  WOW! it felt like the needle was being wiggled into my spine and than I felt a very cold serum enter into my spine and ALL of the pain from the needle and the labour disappeared! Sorry I can’t even lie about it…
Shortly after, my doctor was having a hard time getting the babies vitals.  Every time I would have a contraction her vitals would drop, he broke my water and tried to “tease” her to get her to move around and still nothing.  Next thing I know I’m getting prepped for a caesarean.
While I was in the operating room Lloyd had to wait outside until they were ready, I am so happy that he was able to be there to support me and be by my side.  The doctors were in and doing their job and all of a sudden we hear a “Whoa”, all the nurses and doctors were in a sense shocked at what they saw…
Short panic on my end in my mind – is my baby ok?!?! But next thing I know I hear “its a girl!” come from over the curtain and a small wince from babes.  Everything was ok! The whoa was because the umbilical cord was in a true knot and the doctor showed us from over the curtain. Wow! This what was causing the babies vitals to drop every time I had a contraction, and I was so thankful for the steps that the doctor took to take care of me and most importantly my beautiful baby girl!
The doctors were doing a quick clean up of the baby and testing her Apgar Score and they called Lloyd over to see her and to take pictures.  He brought her over to me and all I could say to myself was oh my God she’s a mini-me and absolutely perfect!
It was official, we were parents of a perfect and healthy baby girl – 6lbs 11oz 20 inches long.  I didn’t even think about myself and the upcoming recovery, all I could think about was my new family, the overwhelming feeling for becoming a mother for the first time.  Welcome baby Sachiko (her names means happy child in Japanese and she was named after her great-grandma).
I was so grateful for the actions that my doctor took to make sure that both me and my baby were healthy, and of course to my loving husband for never leaving my side and being the man that I fell in love with.  I can’t forget my little munchie boo; am so grateful to have her in my life and from that point on ward I couldn’t imagine my life any differently! She is the perfect addition to our family and am excited to watch her grow!
This is one job that is the hardest job I have ever had but it is absolutely the most rewarding job that I will never want to give up.  My life is that much more complete with her here!

No comments:

Post a Comment