Monday, January 18, 2010

Dealing with the First Trimester

Ok so not only was this my first trimester but my first pregnancy.  So like most, if not all, women I had no clue what to expect or anything of sorts.  Thankfully, my cousin was expecting her second baby and gave me tons of information.  Mainly, some good books to look into but she was a great support for me, was like the older sister I never had. Full of insight from her first child and also that she was about four months ahead of me, she helped and guided me along the way.  Too bad we lived so far apart and discovered Skype a little too late. 
My first trimester felt like a breeze.  Maybe because I was expecting what you see in the movies.  The movies is just theatrics so of course they’re going to make things look rough and out of sorts.  All it seemed like every woman on television or in the movies went through the same thing.  Well to my discovery, not all women are the same and every pregnancy is different.  Even Lloyd would ask me, aren’t you supposed to be having morning sickness? In other words, are you faking.  I’m just kidding, but to a pregnant woman it sure can feel like that’s what your oh so wonderful husband is thinking.  I was very thankful, no “morning sickness”.  The only time I didn’t feel so good was if I didn’t eat regularly or ate junk food.  Being pregnant for me was probably the best “diet” I have ever been on, but this is just speaking from my personal experience and, of course, DO NOT DIET WHILE YOU ARE PREGNANT!!!!
I say diet for myself because it was my body’s natural way of telling me what to eat.  I craved lots of veggies and fruits, especially the juicy ones like oranges.  If I ate junk food it made me SUPER bloated and lethargic, so was best to just not eat it.  Also, my stomached filled faster so even though I was eating less at each meal I was still eating more often, was probably feeling hungry every two (2) hours.  I actually started to get tired of eating but I knew I had to because it was not only my body I need to replenish but my body was also in charge of supplying nutrients to my baby so she would grow to be that healthy baby that every parent prays for. 
Overall, the first trimester was full of hunger and tiredness.  I never felt like sleeping so much in my life, would be awake long enough to eat, shower and get a little cleaning and/or chores done but it would tire me out so quickly I would be in dire need of a good nap.  I would get in a full nights sleep eight (8) or so hours a night and would also have to nap at least twice a day.  I had no energy in reserve for much. 
Another thing I noticed was some things that I used to hate, like the smell of lavender, I now love and still do.  Must be something with the changes in our hormones.  Prior to being pregnant, I couldn’t stand the smell of lavender and once I was pregnant that’s all I wanted was lavender this and that!
I also ended up taking a nice three (3) week vacation with my family to Belize.  The weather was great and the heat did not bother me one bit.  My aunt and mom were wondering how I was even able to handle the heat.  What i couldn’t handle was the Air Conditioning… if you can believe that or not.  Unfortunately, because I was in my first trimester I was so tired and, like I mentioned earlier, all I wanted to do was nap all the time.  So whenever I could I would get in some shut eye, but while still trying to enjoy the vacation. 
Once I returned to Canada, I was to schedule my first prenatal visit with my family doctor and he would be referring me to the OB-GYN for all my future visits.  My doctor used the Doppler so Lloyd and I could have a listen to the baby’s heartbeat for the first time! It was so amazing to hear, I just couldn’t get over the fact that there was a little person in the making in there.  We were 12 weeks down with about 28 more weeks to go!
Already started on my prenatal pills, was definitely thankful for the vitamins, and was drinking plenty of milk. 
Funny thing about milk, I used to hate it and would never drink it.  My only source of calcium before was yogurt and other such sources.  Now I’m into my post-partum and I still continue to drink milk, I’ve learned to love it like I used to as a child! One reason why I made sure to get in my extra calcium with milk or yogurt, at least those three (3) glasses they recommend, was I remembering hearing about my grandmother near the time when she past away.  She had fallen and broke her ankle so at the age of nearing her 90’s she was to have surgery to try to repair it.  The Doctor, unfortunately, could not repair her ankle because the bone was like sponge, too soft to be able to do anything with.  Her bones had depleted because of loss of calcium, babies in utero will take the calcium from the mother’s sources like the bones if the extra calcium is not supplied with her diet.  Not wanting to use that as a scare tactic but it was a good reminder for me throughout my pregnancy of how important my milk was and will always be.

No comments:

Post a Comment