Friday, January 29, 2010

Baby Budget

Ok so I know I already touched base on this topic but need to mention… Shop at home; what I mean by this is to reuse things in your home that you feel would be appropriate for your baby’s nursery.
Some things that I did:
My parents still had kicking around some items that me and my sister used when we were little, were in our nursery, or just things that were tucked away and forgotten about. 
The dresser, was actually my dads from back in his bachelor days was painted white to be used for me and my sister when we were younger.  This wonderful dresser was still lying around in use for their den but they wanted to get rid of it, I thought it was perfect.  So it is now in the baby’s room as a dresser and change table; I purchased a Summer Infant Contoured Changing Pad for under $20 and attached it to the dresser.








Funny enough, my mom still had the rocking chair from when we were babies.  Yes, it is an actually rocking chair not a glider!  Again, this rocking chair was perfect and my mom was sweet enough to give it up for here grandbaby.  We had a beautiful brown blanket that was a gift from Lloyds work and we now use it as a throw for the chair.









I wanted to get some kind of shelving, side table or night stand.  Again, my dad had a night stand that was now too short for the new bed they purchased; incredible how high up these beds are nowadays!  So, of course, this night stand was tucked away collecting dust… I thought it would be perfect for the baby’s room and it’s actually a homemade piece that my dad built his junior high class WAY back in the day. 








So these are a few ways that you can save some money if you have some things lying around that you can salvage.  I actually priced out approximately what it would’ve cost us if we purchased those three (3) items brand new.  The cost would’ve been around or even over $500, I was shocked at how much we could’ve spent. 
I also saved a few bucks by drawing out some cute art work of drawings that I found on the Internet and that I thought would be ideal.  This was very time consuming but in my opinion for what we wanted it was perfect.  Babes would have some wonderful artwork in her bedroom that mom made especially for her!









Be creative with the things that you want to do with your nursery, the possibilities are endless.  I didn’t want to get caught up in spending too much money all at once, and it was a great way for my parents to de-junk the house with those few items that they said they no longer needed or wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment