Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cradle Cap

I don’t even remember seeing the Cradle Cap appear but it did somewhere along the lines.  Cradle Cap is that yellow tinged flaky looking dandruff on a babies scalp.  I thought that it would go away with a bit of time and only because my baby had a little bit of dry, flaky skin when she was born; was told that the dry skin would go away with time. 
Her dry skin did clear up with no problems but than this Cradle Cap appeared.  One day I just decided to try to put some lotion in her hair and massage it a little bit into scalp before her bath time, figured I’ve got nothing to lose.  After her bath, I combed out her hair as usually and it looked to still be there.  The next day I took a peak around and about half of it, if not more, was gone! Her next bath I decided to use a little bit of olive oil; olive oil is really good for your skin and I have heard of some people actually use it as a skin moisturizer when really dry or cracked.  Again, I felt like I had nothing to lose.  Again, the next day it was cleared up. 
I’ve heard of using things like olive, vegetable, or canola oil before bath time.  I also read somewhere that if your babies cradle cap is really bad you can use an anti-dandruff shampoo but only a little and once in a while (not an every bath shampoo), do talk to your child’s paediatrician before using it.  I didn’t mainly because the lotion and olive oil worked really well and have no signs of return.
Whatever you decide to try, do not over wash your baby’s hair you don’t want to dry out their scalp and make the situation worse.  Because washing does dry out the scalp and hair it gave me the idea of massaging her scalp with a bit of lotion.  At first was kind of “scared” to try the oil, thought that it would make her hair to greasy.  This was not the case at all, just use a small amount, read a suggestion about using a cotton ball to dab it onto the scalp to avoid using excessive amounts.  Adding moisture to a dry situation was bound to help! Glad I tried it!
What method did you use? did it work? What other suggestions do you have for parents struggling with this nuisance of a problem? 

No comments:

Post a Comment