Friday, June 18, 2010

Homemade Baby Pancakes

My daughter has been getting picky with her food lately, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts.  She no longer likes the baby cereals or pureed food with the exception of fruit.  I want to continue to feed her the baby cereals but was stumped. 

My cousin gave me the idea to make pancakes with the baby cereal.  Great idea, I’ve made pancakes in the past and gave her some and she loves them.  I found a recipe online and it look good but I like to take recipes and make them my own.  The original recipe added some regular flour in as well so thought I would stick to the theme with my own. 

Baby Cereal Pancakes
1/2 cup of flour (whole wheat or All-Purpose)
1/2 cup of baby cereal (I used Wheat Cereal – its the one my daughter does not like at all.)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup Brown Sugar (granulated sugar or even Apple Sauce would work as well)
Optional – add 1 tsp of any spice such as cinnamon for something different
1 egg – beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (4oz) Formula – I don’t know how well Breast milk will cook, I mainly used Formula because the wheat cereal needs milk added to it, also thought it would be better for baby’s nutritional needs to add some)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Mix all the dry ingredients in small to medium sized bowl, use a whisk to help with the mixing, if desired, I do find that the dry ingredients seem to mix better.
- In a larger bowl mix all liquid ingredients.  Once all combined add in dry ingredients and stir until all blended in.  Lumps are good to have in pancake batter if you have them, if you don’t no need to worry they will still turn out. 
- When cooking make them about “silver dollar” sized, makes for a good size for portioning for baby.
- Instead of syrup try serving with pureed fruit of choice, makes a great substitute for syrup and baby gets in a serving of fruit at breakfast time. 
- These pancakes are freeze friendly, and best way I find to warm them up either the next day or from the freezer is in the toaster.

This recipe passed with my food critic! Let me know how they turned out! Is there a recipe that you would like to share using baby cereal?

No comments:

Post a Comment